Friday, September 3, 2010

Being Ready To Walk Through The Door - September 3, 2010

Daily Lectionary for September 3, 2010
Psalm 3
Job 19:1-7, 14-27
Acts 13:13-25
John 9:18-41

Acts 13:13-25
In which Paul and Barnabas are in Antioch of Pisidia on the sabbath day.  They go to the synagogue and after the reading of the law and the prophets an official of the temple says to them, "Brothers, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, give it."  Paul doesn't have to be asked twice and is up in short order giving an exposition on salvation history.  An invitation was given, a door was open and Paul was more than willing to walk through it.  And prepared to walk through it as well.  Our invitations to give a word of exhortation to the people may not be so clear cut - although maybe they will.  The thing here is that when the opportunity to share our faith presents itself we, like Paul, need to be prepared to walk through it.  There is no reluctance in Paul.  Invitation issued - Paul on feet speaking.  I find myself more guarded and less forthcoming and I think I'm not alone in that.  We don't want to be pushy, don't want to overstep our bounds, don't want to force our beliefs on anyone.  First, I think, we must listen (and watch) closely for the invitations.  Second, when an invitation is extended, that is when an opportunity presents itself to share something of our faith we must hesitate less and venture forth more.  It does not require pushiness or forcing what we believe on others - instead it is an opportunity to say, this has been transforming for me, I believe it can be transforming for you.  That's not pushy - that's potentially lifegiving.

Julie's Home!
After a week away at Lake Junaluska, Julie is back this Friday evening.  That is a good thing.  And she came bearing gifts.  Silly bands for Eliza.  A Toy Story lunchbox for our Disney/Pixar fan Cameron.  And, for me, a recently released new translation of the New Testament called the Common English Bible.  I have too many Bibles.  But I love them.  I love comparing different translations.  I like what the Jerusalem Bible does with the Psalms, I love some of the archaic language of the King James, I grew up on the RSV which has made me a fan of the English Standard Version, and I rely for the most part on the NRSV.  Occasionally I'll visit the Message to see if there is a fresh spin on things to be found there.  I look forward to spending some time with the Common English Bible - I'll let you know what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment