Friday, November 12, 2010

Desire, Sin, Death - November 11, 2010

Daily Lectionary Readings for November 11, 2010
Psalm 128
Joel 2:21-27
James 1:1-15
Luke 15:1-2, 11-32

James 1:1-15
"When that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and that sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death."(v.15)
After beginning with the instruction to consider trials of any kind "nothing but joy", James draws this passage to a close with the above verse about desire leading to sin leading to death.  James is such a sturdy, practical, relevant book.  Looking forward to making my way through James again - always good territory to review.  As with the desire, sin death trajectory, what James describes carries the weight of credibility in that the hard things he says ring very true when compared with my experience of life.  And that voice in my head - ir is it my heart - that agrees with James that I am much better off when I can corral things at the desire stage, because what comes next will be sin and then things are really headed in a bad direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment