Monday, November 15, 2010

What's My Motivation? - November 14, 2010

Lectionary Readings for November 14, 2010

Psalm 14
Habakkuk 1:1-2:1
Philippians 3:13-24
Matthew 23:13-24

Philippians 3:13-24

“Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal, but I press on to make it my own because Christ Jesus has made me his own.”(v.12)
Why do we try to be obedient? Why do we try to sin less and love God more? At times I think the message the world has received from the body of Christ is that we do these things because they are good for us. We do them because if we can get them to the “enough” point we are more likely to spend eternity in heaven rather than in hell. I very much want to spend eternity in heaven, but a motive as selfish as living an obedient life in order to get myself there rather defeats the purpose of obedience. Paul is great in this verse – “I press on to make it my own because Christ Jesus has made me his own.” Life is most fully life as God intends when we live in accord with God’s intent AND when we recognize what Christ has done for us that we 1) couldn’t have done for ourselves and 2) wouldn’t have known to ask or seek remedy for left to our own devices. As graceful recipients, rather than as folks seeking to avoid hell, we live, striving to obedient and to follow Jesus.

Matthew 23:13-26
Another passage that focuses on the inner life – pointing us to the core of what we do and why we do it. Superficial behavior may be good or bad, may be obedient or disobedient, but beyond the act there is the intent. Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees here, but I think it blends well with the theme above from the Philippians passage. Our obedience is obedience at a surface level if it is the result solely of self-interest. Our obedience is more deeply rooted when we get our motivation right.
“First clean the inside of the cup, so that the outside also may become clean.”(v.26)

No comments:

Post a Comment