Thursday, November 18, 2010

Giving Our Best, Giving Thanks - November 17, 2010

Daily Lectionary Readings for November 17, 2010
Psalm 68:1-10
Malachi 1:1-14
James 3:13-4:12
Luke 17:11-19

Malachi 1:1-14
"Would you offer blind animals in sacrifice, is that not wrong?  And when you offer those that are lame or sick, is that not wrong?  Try presenting that to yoru governor; will he be pleased with you or show you favor?"(v.8)
Nice verse for stewarship season.  The gifts we would be embarrased to give to anothr person whose opinion we value we are not at all embarrased to offer to God.  Whatever our best is is what God expects.

Luke 17:11-19
Jesus heals ten lepers and one of the ten is moved to thank Jesus.  In the Malachi passage the issue is witholding our best from God.  In this passage it is a similar issue - God has done great things for us and how thankful are we.  Do we go on blithely with our day or do we stop and offer thanks and praise.  I know too often my answer would be I give less than my best and I receive blessings from God for which I fail to offer thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment